Tuesday 9 February 2016

Trying Something Different | Grant Harris

During the lead up to Christmas, with the weather being so bad and not being able to get out fishing, I thought I would give a bit of white water kayaking a go.
I'm so glad I did!
I borrowed a boat and spray deck from Gareth and headed down to CIWW, with Tom in tow for a bit of coaching.
The course was running on 4 cumecs (the lowest flow) and it didn't look that hard. So after having a look around the course, and a quick coffee to warm up, we made our way down the the flat water pool.
It was a strange felling sitting inside a white water kayak, rather than on a sit-on-top, and it is a lot more responsive when you start paddling.

Tom gave me a few basic paddling tips to get me going as we made our way across the flat water and into the gentle flow at the bottom of the course.
Within minutes I thought I was ready for my first run of the course!
Of course I only made it down the first few drops before I tipped over and took my very first swim.


I felt like I had been beaten up!
After a bit more coaching from Tom, and a lot more swims, I can now proudly say that I can make my way around and down the course on the lower volume without swimming.
Next step is to get on the course on higher volume, and take on a few rivers as well.

Read more: http://escape-watersports.blogspot.ie/2016/02/trying-something-different-grant-harris.html

No comments:

Post a Comment